The Kutch Museum at Bhuj initially formed part of the School of Art established by Maharao Khengarji on 1st July, 1877. It is the oldest museum of Gujrat. At the time of Maharao Khengarji’s marriage, an exhibition of 5897 items were exhibited and items worth Rs. 3300 were given to the Museum which necessitated the construction of a new building.
Accordingly, on 14th November, 1884, the foundation stone for the present museum building was laid. The building consisting of 2 floors cost Rs. 32000. The museum is situated almost on the banks of the beautiful Hamirsar lake and just opposite the Nazar Baugh garden.
On the ground floor in the central room is displayed Airavat, an Indian elephant. In 1978 the Govt. of India issued a postal stamp showing Airavat. The museum has the largest collections of Kshatrap inscriptions. It also has a fine collection of Kutch silver, golden and enamelling work, textiles, wood work, coins, old utensils, arms and other archeological objects and a section on the communications of the district.